Ancient Monuments near Grantown-on-Spey
Castle Grant NJ 021302
Castle Grant near Grantown-on-Spey
The castle is about 1.5 miles (2.5 km) north of Grantown-on-Spey and is a category A listed building in private ownership. The structure dates from the fifteenth/early sixteenth century, and is in the form of a traditional Scottish tower house built of stone, with some harled (rendered) surfaces. Alterations were made in the eighteenth century to form a U plan house. The castle is currently in private ownership. See also Scottish Castles website for more historic information.
East Lodge (Lady Catherine’s Halt) NJ033302
The East Lodge and
railway halt for Castle Grant
The lodge lies about 1.5 miles (2 km) north of Grantown-on-Spey and is also a Category A listed building. The structure is linked to a railway bridge, which carried the former railway over the A939. The lodge is a two-storey stone built structure in the Scottish Baronial style. It was built in 1863-4 and displays typical Baronial motifs such as crow-stepped gables and stair turrets. The railway bridge is stone built with decorative parapet. The halt was designed so that the Lords and Ladies of the estate could transfer directly from the train through the building and downstairs to a waiting horse and carriage, all without being exposed to the elements for too long a period.
West Lodge of Castle Grant
West Lodge NJ 035288
The lodge lies 0.5 kilometres north of Grantown on Spey. The structure is Category B Listed. The lodge is a three storey, later 19th century Scottish Baronial structure built of granite, with drum tower and crow-stepped porch. The lodge lies approximately 400 metres from the disused railway line and is clearly visible from the A939.